Just like our bones, our teeth need proper nutrition as well to remain healthy and strong. Since our teeth are first to come in contact with the food we eat, it is important to know and understand how the foods we are eating can help benefit our oral health. We have formed a few recipes below that are not only tasty, but also help to promote a beautiful, healthy smile!
Breakfast Starter: Apple Cinnamon Pancakes With Lemon Yogurt Topping
These light, yet delicious pancakes are great for promoting a bright white smile and supplying nutrients that are needed for healthy teeth and bones!
- 1 ¼ cups plain yogurt (fat-free)
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 fat free milk
- 1 egg
- 1 large (diced) apple to make about 1 cup
- Oil spray
Preparation: (15 minutes)
- Lemon Yogurt Topping: Whip together the 1 cup of yogurt, 1 tbsp grated lemon zest, 1 tbsp of honey, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, and 1 tsp of ground cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
- Pancakes: In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and 1 tsp of cinnamon. Whisk until it is well blended. Slowly mix in the milk, egg, ¼ cup of yogurt, 1 tbsp of honey, and 2 tsp of vanilla extract. Mix well then stir in the diced apples.
- Cooking: Spray the pan with your oil spray to prevent sticking. Heat over medium high heat and when the pan is hot, ladle over 2 tbsp of pancake mix. Cook until they are golden brown and don’t forget to flip! Then repeat until all batter is used.
- Serve immediately with Lemon Yogurt Topping and enjoy!
Lunch Special: Wild Salmon Salad
Wild Salmon Salad is great for promoting healthy teeth. In addition to oral health, it also helps to promote hearth health, bone health, eye health, IBS, PMS, memory, mood, and healthy skin. With only 188 calories per serving, this makes for a light and tasty lunch for any day!
- 6 ounces salmon (canned, wild, boneless, skinless)
- 1 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (can add more if desired)
- 2 tbsp minced onions
Preparation: (5 minutes)
- In a small bowl, mix the salmon, mayonnaise, mustard, and onion together. Add a dash of black pepper to taste. Using a fork, mash together and combine with other ingredients.
- Top on top of fresh lettuce or crackers and enjoy!
Fulfilling Dinner: Ricotta Mushroom Pita Pizza
This delightful pizza is great for healthy teeth, strong bones, and healthy skin and hair.
- 1 whole pita (whole wheat)
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/8 tsp of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp ricotta cheese (Part-skim)
Preparation: (5 minutes)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with aluminum foil to prevent sticking or use a spray
- Place pita bread on baking sheet. Do NOT cut open the pita and mist with oil spray
- Toast in over for 5 minutes and remove to let cool for a few minutes
- Meanwhile- heat mushrooms on stove top until soft for about 4 minutes
- Season with garlic powder, salt and pepper
- Spread ricotta cheese evenly on top of pita bread and top with sautéed mushrooms
- Sprinkle with crushed red pepper and bake for 8 minutes
Not only can you eat healthy, but you can also eat to promote healthy oral hygiene. Your teeth need nutrients and by adding a few healthy recipes to your daily consumption can give them everything they need to remain strong and pearly white. For additional dental advice on how you can help fight against plaque, tarter, and other oral health problems, contact your professional Alpharetta dentist at SmileScapes, Alpharetta.